Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
– Marianne Williamson
Inspired by Joel Runyon, Chris Guillebeau, and other list-makers, I’m sharing mine too. Below is everything I’ve dreamed of doing, but often put aside because it was “unreasonable” or “not realistic.” Some are overwhelming; others are rather “easy” to accomplish. Either way, they’re on the list because I can’t imagine leaving this earth without having attempted them.
[09/16/11 Note: This is the first draft of my Impossible List. I’ll probably add lots to it over the coming months. I’ll even try to add categories at some point. Right now, I just want to put my dreams in writing. The items are in no particular order, and some of them are partially complete.]
- Read 1,000 books
Read the complete Old and New Testament[completed 09/29/11 using chronological plan)
- Learn to cook 25 recipes from memory
- Learn to grow vegetables in my backyard
- Publish book(s) that sells at least 100,000 copies
- Teach my daughter to build a business that makes $100,000
- Give away $10 million
- Do 100 pushups in 15 minutes
- Run a half marathon in less than 2:15
- Run a marathon
- Finish a triathlon
- Learn two other languages
Learn to code a WordPress site[completed 08/03/12]
- Get certified in basic and advanced first aid
- Bike across America
- Hike the Appalachian Trail
- Go whitewater rafting in the Grand Canyon
- Live outdoors for two weeks
- Live in an RV for six months
- Speak at TED
- Speak at SXSW
- Speak at WDS
- Attend Burning Man
- Visit every continent
- Travel for a year straight